I was so pleased to get a Monkeys with Machineguns strip into the Dark Horrors anthology. Arcana were one of our target publishers at the time, a recognisable "big name" American publisher. When I started out reading comics, the kind of comics that I considered "real" comics (the ones with superheroes in them) all came from America and so getting a strip published by a US publisher meant a lot even many years later.
The story that was chosen was "The Exchange", which was also featured in Monkeys with Machineguns #1: Making Deals with Devils.
The other stories in the anthology are:
- Ronn Sutton – Tell Tale Heart (adaptation)
- Janet Hetherington – Wishbone
- Ron Fortier – Fright
- David Hopkins - Siren Song
- Robert Burke Richardson - The Gargoyle
- Jon Hook - In Season
- Crisman Strunk - Safe at Home
- Jim Wheelock - Drawing on the Dead
- Kenneth Olson- Remember Me
- Ben Fisher - Me and My Shadow
- Saul Haberfield - Believe
- Gerrin Bush - Hinnom
- Jeff Loew - I Married a Ghost Girl
Competition to get into this anthology was fierce and I can remember waiting with quite some nervousness to find out if our story had been selected. After that, it was an equally nerve-racking period waiting for the reviews to come in. Thankfully, the reviews were excellent and more than a few made particular mention of "The Exchange" which was immensely gratifying.